- »WSOP Adds More Tournament Dates to 2020 Schedule
WSOP Adds More Tournament Dates to 2020 Schedule
One month ago, the World Series of Poker announced its core dates for the 2020 WSOP summer series. In the weeks that followed, its executives have revealed more tournament dates, along with starting chip stacks, level timing, and reentry information.
A total of 31 tournaments have now been confirmed. More will follow in the coming weeks and months.
Reviewing the Basics
The original announcement in early December 2019 revealed that the 51st World Series of Poker will open its doors for cash games and satellite tournaments on Tuesday, May 26, 2020. The first bracelet event will welcome players on the following day, and the very last day of play will be Wednesday, July 15.
WSOP officials revealed details about the WSOP Main Event, otherwise known as the $10K No Limit Hold’em Championship tournament. It will offer three starting flights – three opportunities to enter the tournament – from Wednesday, July 1 through Friday, July 3. Play will whittle the field down to a final table by the end of the night on July 10, and that final table will play out July 12-14.
Two other initial tournament announcements pertained to the $500 Big 50 NLHE to kick off on the opening weekend of the summer series and the $1K Seniors NLHE Championship set for mid-June for players 50 and older.
All of it, as has been the case for 15 years prior, will take place at the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Popular Events Added
The event set aside for casino employees will kick off the series on May 27 with a $500 buy-in affair. Another seniors-only tournament, this Super Seniors event for players aged 60 and older, was put on the calendar to start four days after the regular Seniors Championship begins. And the Ladies Championship was put on the schedule to begin on June 17.
Some of the tournaments that draw many recreational and semi-pro players to the Rio for weekend starts also made it to the calendar. In addition to the already-announced Big 50, there are others like the Millionaire Maker, Monster Stack, Double Stack, Colossus, Crazy Eights, Little One for One Drop, and Closer.
Other events now with dates include the Tag Team and Mini Main Event.
Championships for Bigger Stakes
The first announcement during the first full week of 2020 brought the championship tournaments into view. In addition to the Main Event, there will be 15 events labeled “championships” with $10K buy-ins, as well as the $50K Poker Players Championship, which has been upped to a nine-game mix instead of the traditional eight games.
These events also include, for the first time, an online poker event that will meet the other championship events where they stand. The WSOP Online championship will require a $10K buy-in as well.
The WSOP also noted that there will be a special leaderboard in 2020 for high buy-in championship tournaments only. This will allow players who want to compete for best championship-level performance can do so and win prizes. More details will be revealed at a later date.
Schedule with 31 Events Thus Far
This is the appearance of the schedule as poker players around the world wait for more announcements:
- May 27 at 3pm: $500 NLHE Casino Employees (one reentry)
- May 28-31 at 10am: $500 NLHE Big 50 (one reentry per flight, four starting flights)
- June 3 at 3pm: $10K Omaha Hi-Lo 8-or-Better (no reentries)
- June 5-6 at 10am: $1,500 NLHE Millionaire Maker (one reentry per flight, two flights)
- June 6 at 3pm: $10K Seven-Card Stud
- June 8 at 3pm: $10K Short Deck Hold’em (one reentry)
- June 9 at 3pm: $10K HORSE
- June 12 at 2pm: $10K NLHE Super Turbo Bounty
- June 12-13 at 10am: $1,500 NLHE Monster Stack
- June 13 at 3pm: $10K Dealers Choice 6-Handed
- June 15 at 3pm: $10K No Limit 2-7 Lowball Draw
- June 17 at 11am: $10K NLHE Ladies (one reentry, ladies pay only $1K to enter)
- June 18 at 10am: $1K NLHE Seniors (one reentry, players must be 50+)
- June 18 at 3pm: $10K Limit 2-7 Lowball Triple Draw
- June 19-20 at 10am: $1K NLHE Double Stack (one reentry per flight, two flights)
- June 20 at 3pm: $10K PLO
- June 22 at 10am: $1K NLHE Super Seniors (one entry per flight, two flights, players must be 60+)
- June 22 at 2pm: $1K NLHE Tag Team (freezeout, 2 players per team)
- June 22 at 3pm: $50K 9-Game Mix Poker Players Championship
- June 24 at 3pm: $10K Razz
- June 24-25 at 10am: $400 NLHE Colossus (one entry per flight, two flights)
- June 26 at 3pm: $10K PLO Hi-Lo 8-or-Better
- June 26-27 at 10am/5pm: $888 NLHE 8-Handed Crazy Eights (one entry per flight, two flights)
- June 28 at 3pm: $10K Seven-Card Stud Hi-Lo 8-or-Better
- June 29 at 11am: $1K NLHE Mini Main Event
- June 29 at 3pm: $10K NLHE 6-Handed
- June 30 at 3pm: $10K LHE
- July 1-3 at 11am: $10K NLHE Main Event (three flights)
- July 2 at 3pm: $10K NLHE Online (players must be located in Nevada or New Jersey)
- July 4-6 at 12pm: $1K NLHE Little One for One Drop (unlimited reentries, three flights)
- July 10-11 at 12pm: $1,500 NLHE Closer (one entry per flight, two flights)