Play Blackjack Online for Real Money
At Canadian online casinos, you’ll find every version of real money online blackjack under the sun. The Maple Casino team have put together this quick guide to help you learn how to play. If you already know how to win money playing online blackjack, you can also use our blackjack guide to refresh your memory and pick up on simple rules.
Blackjack Online Real Money Casinos
How to Play Blackjack
Blackjack is a casino card game where players try to reach a hand total of 21. Hence, blackjack commonly being referred to as “21”. It is generally played with one standard deck of 52 playing cards. Depending on the version of online blackjack, more than one deck of cards may be used. Playing blackjack online is a great opportunity as a new or seasoned player to get a hang of the game, and to hopefully picket some cash in the process. What’s more, there are free online variations of the game available for Canadian players.
There may be multiple variants of this game, but there are core rules that are the same across all versions. We recommend trying free blackjack online first. To help you out, our team of experts has assembled a simplified guide to explain the core rules of blackjack:
- The goal of blackjack is for your cards to equal 21.
- Dealer receives two cards, one face down and one face up.
- You are dealt at least one hand.
- You can ask the dealer to hit, stand, split or double down.
- Game continues until you stand or go over 21.
- Dealer’s hand is revealed last.
- Dealer must hit until their total is or exceeds 21, or reaches 17 and stands.
- If your card count is higher than the dealer’s (but under 21), or the dealer busts (goes over 21) then you win.
- When you or the dealer gets “blackjack” on the initial deal, that means the starting hand adds up to 21.
Top Online Blackjack Versions
Online blackjack in Canada is one of our favourite casino games to play for real money. As a Canadian player, you’ll easily find a variant that suits you. Each online casino is different, which means that you may find one type of online blackjack, or quite a few.
The top versions of blackjack online that you’ll find are:
- European Blackjack – This is by far the most popular variant of all. Familiarizing yourself with the basic strategy for this version will help ensure your ability to win.
- American Blackjack – This expands on the Euro blackjack game by allowing players additional chances to win. You are allowed to Double Down on any hand and Split it multiple times. The dealer also can win automatically by hitting blackjack from the initial cards dealt.
- Classic Blackjack Gold – The player’s challenge is to achieve a hand totaling 21 or less when the dealer either has a lower hand, or their hand exceeds 21.
- Multi-hand Blackjack Gold – This is one of the most popular and intriguing games out there. Players have the option to bet on up to five hands at a time.
- Spanish Blackjack or Spanish 21 – The game features eight decks, but each deck is missing the “10” cards.
- Double Exposure Blackjack or “Zweikartenspiel” – This requires the dealer to place his cards face up, giving you an equal playing field.
- Atlantic City Blackjack – This variation is the same as generic blackjack, with some small additions including forcing the dealer to stand on soft 17 and being able to double down after a split.
What We Look For in Blackjack Sites
We consider all our options when choosing sites to recommend when it comes to blackjack. Since it’s one of the most popular online casino games there is, it’s important the site is doing it well. Below are some things we consider when looking into gaming options:
- Different Variants – Having different variants allows you to find the version that suits your playing style.
- Free Play Opportunity – Players can get a handle of the game before investing real money.
- Live Dealer Category – For those looking to have a more interactive blackjack experience.
- Blackjack Bonuses – Variety, play through requirement and payout types are all considered when looking at these bonuses.
Blackjack Strategy and Tips
Blackjack is one of the easiest casino betting games to learn. We have compiled a few tips and tricks to suit both the novice (who we suggest should first try out a free online game) and the skilled blackjack player.
- When playing blackjack online for real money, look for hands that have great odds, and learn the rules of the game. Practicing with a free online blackjack game provides you with the opportunity to hone your blackjack strategy at no expense.
- Playing online blackjack comes with a lot of benefits, such as bonuses. If there is a bonus you’ve been saving for, consider using it to give your bankroll a boost.
- Check what types of bets you can make before starting the game. This will allow you to put a strategy together properly.
- Most betting shops on the internet will try to increase their house edge by not allowing you to double down after you split. Make sure you check this when preparing to play.
- When doubling down isn’t allowed, hit instead.
- If you cannot split, then play your hand to its combined value.
Blackjack for Free vs Real Money
We’ve talked a lot about playing blackjack for real money so far, but what about for free? Free play may seem pointless as betting and winning is the point for most online casino players, but it really is a great thing for both new and seasoned players to try out every now and again. Playing for free is available at every casino we recommend upon sign-up and a risk free way to try out new tips and strategies before betting real money. Once you’re confident in your new skills, that’s when it’s time to place your bets.
Playing Blackjack on Mobile
One of the main benefits of online casinos? You can play on the go. And the same goes for blackjack. Almost every casino we recommend allows players to play blackjack on their mobile device wherever they are. All you have to do is download their app, or visit the site through your web browser, log in with your regular account information and find your way to the casino games. There should be a specific section for table games, or you can even search the specific blackjack variant you’re looking to play.
Online Blackjack Bonuses
While some casinos do offer blackjack specific bonuses from time to time, there are offers that players are able to take advantage of all time for blackjack. The first and most obvious, is the welcome bonus, or any match bonuses in general. This is a great opportunity to double or even triple your deposits and put them towards playing blackjack. If you’re not a new player, consider looking for no-deposit bonuses, reload bonuses, and live dealer bonuses if you’re into playing the game live.
Knowing the lingo is part of mastering online blackjack in Canada. Before you focus on blackjack strategy, you need to understand the terminology. If you play blackjack online, you’ll find your gaming performance improved by becoming acquainted with the terms below.
|Hit||Have the dealer give you another card to increase your hand total. In many variations of blackjack online games, the dealer must hit until they have a total hand size greater than or equal to 17.|
|Stand||If you decide to stand, you agree not to take more cards. This means you will finish the game with the total you had at the time of the stand.|
|Bust||A ‘bust’ is where your total combined value comes to higher than 21. This can only occur if you hit instead of standing with your hand and means you lose your bet.|
|Double Down||This doubles your bet. It also means you agree to take only one more card (after which you must stand).|
|Push||Your total and the dealer’s total are the same and between 17 and 21. In this scenario, neither wins.|
|Split||You have the option to split two cards of the same value. This results in you having two blackjack hands against the dealer. Sometimes, players need to make a second bet for the second hand.|
|Side Bets||This is also known as a proposition/prop bet or novelty bet. Side bets involve you making a wager based on something happening during the game that doesn’t affect the actual game.
Ex. The “21+3” side bet is popular and is a wager based on the player’s initial hand along with the dealer’s combining to make a flush, straight or three-of-a-kind poker hand.
|Insurance||When a dealer is dealt an Ace, they will offer players the choice to purchase insurance. This gives the players the opportunity to win back some of their money if the dealer wins by getting blackjack. Insurance is available as an option in some games of American blackjack.|
|Surrender||After the dealer checks their hand and there’s a chance they could have blackjack, some blackjack games offer the option to surrender. If a player surrenders, they forfeit their hand and have their bet returned to them.|
Online Blackjack FAQs
Yes, you can play blackjack free online. Many of Canada’s first-class casinos on the internet allow players to play the games for free. We always recommend that players learn the ropes by starting with free games when possible.
Yes, of course you can. You can play blackjack online for free or real money on your mobile device, using your web browser. You can also find many blackjack apps that are Android and iOS compatible.
Maybe you’re looking to host a blackjack game with some friends and you’re wondering how to deal? As the dealer, you will deal from left to right, starting with the player on your far left. You will then deal one card facing up to each player at the table, and one down to yourself. Repeat this step until every player has two cards facing up, and the dealer has two cards facing down. Be sure to lay the cards so that both values on the face up cards are clearly visible.
Now for the most important topic: how to win at blackjack. While there is no formula we can give you that will have you winning every time, there is one thing you can do to help your chances of leaving with a little bit of cash. The most important (in our opinion) is having a handle on the game. You have to know what you’re doing, what the rules are and about the different versions if you want to make your mark. Good thing we have out lined all of these things above.
The best way to win when playing digital blackjack is to get a great understanding of the rules, variations and strategies that we provide for you above. Although there is no foolproof way to win, having the best understanding of the game possible is a great start.
Yes, it is. One of the benefits of playing online is the Random Number Generators (RNGs). These randomize the cards you are dealt, and add up your hand value for you. All top-rated online casinos will have their games tested regularly by third-party auditors. This ensures that your games are always fair and random.
All you need to play is an internet connection, and a computer or mobile device. Most online casinos offer mobile-friendly blackjack.
Our selection of casino sites are not only supplying online blackjack games, but also offer other cards games like poker, various table games, and—of course—online slots. Your phone is a mobile casino wherever and whenever you want to find your fun!