Blackjack is a card game where players try to reach a hand total of 21. If a player’s total exceeds 21, this will result in a bust and an automatic loss. Hence blackjack commonly being referred to as “21”. It is generally played with one standard deck of 52 playing cards. Depending on the version of online blackjack, more than one deck of cards may be used. Internet blackjack is tons of fun because you can make money playing that you wouldn’t be able to make anywhere else. What’s more, there are many free variations of the game available for Canadian gamblers.
Best Online Blackjack Casinos for CA Gamblers
History of Online Blackjack
The origins of blackjack aren’t certain. We do know, however, that a version was created in France. This game was known as Vingt-et-Un and was played during the 16th Century. Another game known as one and 30 was also played in Spain around the same time. It’s believed that these two games had the most influence on the modern game.
Blackjack then made its way across to North America. In order to appeal to American gamblers, new rules were also introduced. A hand made up of a Jack of Clubs or Spades, and an Ace of Spades would pay out 10 to one. This rule, in particular, helped blackjack gain popularity across North America. It is no longer in use today, though.
Free Online Blackjack in Canada
Free online blackjack games are found at many online gaming casino sites that we feature. Canadians are offered a host of different strategies depending on how and where they choose to play. We’ve figured out that learning this game is pretty simple. But it is not to be taken lightly either.
Once a player has learned how to play, satisfied with their knowledge of online blackjack strategy, they can advance to multi-hand strategy games. Whether you are playing at a land-based casino or on the internet, you’ll be able to test your skills against other players with Live Dealers to see the different odds.
The best gambling websites have free, full versions for desktops/laptops and mobile devices. Canadian players should always check if their selected betting shop offers free games. These games are excellent to practice on before you play for real money.
Online Blackjack Rules
There may be multiple variants of this game but the rules of blackjack are applicable across all the different versions. We recommend starting with demo games first. Our team of gambling experts have assembled a simplified guide, which explains all the blackjack game rules for playing on the internet:
- The dealer receives two cards, one placed face down and the other, face up.
- Depending on the card count of the player’s hand, a player can choose to hit, stand, split or double down.
- Players continue the game in this way until they decide to stand or they go over the card count of 21 (this is known as a bust). Each round is started by another round of bets, and then a new card is dealt.
- The dealer’s hand is revealed last. The dealer must hit until their total exceeds 21, hits a card count of 21 or reaches 17 (at which point the dealer must stand).
- If a player finishes with a card count higher than the dealer’s (but is under 21), or the dealer busts (goes over 21) then the player wins.
Top 5 Online Blackjack Versions
Blackjack is one of the most popular card games on the web. As a Canadian gambler, you’ll easily find a variant that suits you. These online betting shops have a huge variety of games available, like Pontoon. Who knows, you might even be able to grab a bonus while you play this game for free. Below are a few of our top picks, which you can find at Maple Casino’s recommended online casinos.
- Classic Blackjack Gold: The player’s challenge is to achieve a hand totaling 21 or less when the dealer either has a lower hand, or their hand exceeds 21.
- Multi-hand Blackjack Gold: This is one of the most popular and intriguing games out there.
- Spanish Blackjack: The game features eight decks, but each deck does not include the standard 52 cards.
- Double Exposure Blackjack: This requires the dealer to place his cards face up, giving you an equal playing field.
- European Blackjack: This is, by far, the most popular variant of all, thus, players must familiarize themselves with the European blackjack basic strategy to win.
Online Blackjack Tips and Strategies
Blackjack is one of the easiest gambling games to learn. Playing online also has some of the benefits of land-based casino gambling. Still, we have compiled a few tips and tricks to suit both the novice (who we suggest should first try out a free game first) and the skilled blackjack player.
- When playing for real money, online blackjack requires a good strategy. This includes looking for hands that have the best odds, and then understanding how to win games. Practice games provide players with the opportunity to try out different strategies at no expense.
- Playing online blackjack comes with a lot of benefits, such as bonuses. If there is a bonus you’ve been saving for mobile blackjack, for example, consider using it to give your bankroll a boost.
- Check what types of bets you can make before starting the game. This will allow you to put a strategy together properly.
- Most betting shops on the internet will try to increase their house edge. One way they do this is by not allowing the player to double down after they split. Make sure you check this when preparing to play.
- Real online blackjack means that if you cannot double down, hit instead.
- If you cannot split, then play your hand to its value.
Online Blackjack Glossary
Knowing the lingo is part of knowing the rules of the game. A blackjack player will find their gaming performance improved by becoming acquainted with the gambling terminology below. Even when they play blackjack for fun.
A ‘bust’ is where your total card count comes to higher than 21. This can only occur if you hit instead of standing with your hand
This is essentially doubling your original bet. It also means you agree to take only one more card (after which you must stand).
Taking another card to increase your hand total.
The total of the dealer’s and your hand totals are the same and are between 17 and 21. In this scenario, neither wins.
You have the option to split two cards of the same value. This results in you having two blackjack hands against the dealer. Sometimes, players need to make a second bet for the second hand.
If you choose to stand, you agree not to take more cards. This means you will finish the game with the card count you had at the time of the stand.