Roulette is a casino game that has been around for hundreds of years, with Frenchmen Blaise Pascal inventing the first roulette wheel. The invention came about while he was trying to create the perpetual motion machine during his probability studies. The roulette wheel caught the attention of many people very quickly, and by the end of the 17th century, the game of roulette was hugely popular in Paris. As time went by the casino game changed and developed different variants as it did its rounds around the world.
Today in 2017, the game can be enjoyed in both land-based and online casinos. Learn how to play Roulette below.
Learning How to Play Step by Step
Roulette is a game filled with glamour, mystery, and a whole lot of excitement. However, if you are a novice player, then the experience may not be so thrilling. To help you get started, we recommend you learn the different betting options and familiarize yourself with the various roulette wheels. For instance, a standard roulette wheel contains 36 pockets numbered 1-36, European roulette wheel consists of 37 pockets numbered 1-36 with a green 0 slot, and the American roulette wheel consists of 38 slots numbered 1-36 with green 0 and 00 slots.
Once you are familiar with the betting options and roulette wheels, you will be able to book a seat at your favourite online roulette table and start placing your wagers.
Once you have placed your wager, the croupier will spin the roulette wheel.
When the ball falls into a pocket, and the roulette wheel stops spinning, the player will know their fortune of the wagers they placed. All winning bets will be paid out, and losing bets will be collected before a new round may begin.
How to Play Roulette – The Rules
Roulette follows a basic set of rules that are easy to grasp. The objective of the game is to select correctly where you think the ball will land. It can be a very fast paced game with serious rewards that could change your life forever. Canadian players are to place their bets before the roulette ball starts dropping. This means you can place your bets while the wheel is in motion. However, when playing at an online casino, players may be required to place their bets before the wheel is in motion. It is always the croupier’s responsibility to call off betting for the round, make payouts where relevant, call off any losing bets, and mark off the winning numbers.
Types of Betting
Once a player has purchased their betting chips, they will be ready to start placing their bets. There are a number of different betting options which include betting on a number, group of numbers or betting areas.
There are two main betting options; inside bets and outside bets. Inside bets offer reduced odds of winnings as they are commonly associated with single number bets. Despite, the reduced odds of winning, when gamblers do win with inside bets the payouts are much higher. Outside bets offer more opportunities of winning with smaller payouts.
Common Betting Types
- Straight up. These types of bets are ones that are placed on a single number including 0.
- Split. These bets are placed on any two connecting numbers, which may either be horizontal or vertical.
- Street. These are bets that are placed on three horizontal numbers.
- Corner. These bets are placed on any four numbers within a block.
- Six line. These are bets that are placed on any six numbers from two rows.
- 1st Column. These are singles bets that cover the following numbers; 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, and 34.
- 2nd Column. These are singles bets that cover the following numbers; 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29, 32, 35.
- 3rd Column. These are single bets that cover the following numbers; 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36.
- 1st Dozen. These are bets that cover numbers 1-12.
- 2nd Dozen. These are bets that cover number 13-24.
- 3rd Dozen. These are bets that cover number 25-36.
- Odd. These are bets that are placed to cover all odd numbers, for example; 1, 3, 5, 7, 13, 17, 21, 35, etc.
- Even. These are bets that are placed to cover all even numbers, for example; 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, 18, 28, 32, 36, etc.
- Red. These single bets cover all the red block numbers on the roulette wheel.
- Black. These single bets cover all the black block numbers on the roulette wheel.
- 1 to 18. This bet will cover all numbers between 1 and 18.
- 19 to 36. This bet will cover all numbers between 19 and 36.
Play Roulette at Canadian Online Casinos
Learning to play roulette at Maple Casino is easy and a whole bunch of fun. Receive top roulette hints, tips, and tricks to improve your skill level. Whether you are a beginner looking to develop your winning strategies or an experienced player looking to polish up your strategies we have the solution for you. The combinations of techniques and tips will have you mastering the game in no time.